Senior Engineer (Backend)
Headquarters: San Francisco
As a Senior Engineer at Rainforest QA you'll be part of an experienced and diverse team with members all over the world.
We were built as a distributed team from the beginning and we've committed to implementing tools and processes that allow for and support continuous and effective communication across the world.
What you'll do
- Work on our main app, which contains the majority of our business logic and is written in Ruby-on-Rails and backed by PostgreSQL and Redis
- Work on numerous support services (including our work scheduler and VM management system - both of which manage hundreds of thousands of requests a day) written in a variety of languages (Elixir, Golang, Crystal, Node, Python) chosen because of their suitability to the problem the service is solving
- Work on internal tooling to improve the development experience of other engineers and ship faster and safer
- Collaborate with product managers and our customer facing teams to analyze customer problems and design high impact features
- Lead projects to implement those features
- Help other team members to achieve their goals
- Continuously learn about new technologies and ways to solve problems
- Work with our customer facing teams to triage, troubleshoot, and fix bugs
- Write unit and integration tests (using our own product!) to ship high quality software
What we’re looking for
- Extensive experience in Ruby (or equivalent dynamic language) and be extremely knowledgeable of the language and associated ecosystem
- Extensive experience in Ruby on Rails (or equivalent framework) and be extremely knowledgeable of the framework and associated ecosystem
- Experience in writing and debugging SQL
- Enthusiasm for building applications using tools like Ruby on Rails, Golang, Elixir, React, PostgreSQL, Redis, BigQuery, and Kubernetes - amongst others
- Practical experience of working on a React codebase
- Even though this position is mainly backend focused, we expect you to have some grasp of the whole stack to be able to effectively communicate with engineers across the team, and can make frontend or infrastructure changes when the situation calls for it
- Professional experience in engineering SaaS products
- Experience leading projects with teams
- An ownership mindset: you should look not only at what you’re asked to do, but ask why you’re doing it and how it impacts on the rest of the product, our customers, and whether it makes sense. We expect you to be responsible for your work and to resolve any bugs you might ship
- Excitement to learn
- Excellent communication skills and able to give and receive constructive feedback
- Happy to review code and have your code reviewed
- Can work effectively remotely with remote team members (we are a fully distributed company)
- Comfortable working in a large codebase with many stakeholders
Identify with our company values
No BS, No Ego: We are radically candid with each other in every interaction. This means a lack of politics, a lack of showboating, a lack of BS. This also means brevity, clarity of thought, and clarity of communication. We give and take feedback without ego, with the knowledge that we all are operating with good intent. No ego is the check system to balance no BS and keep it kind. No ad-hominem attacks.
1% better every day: Continuous improvement is what motivates us. We design our product, our organization and our careers to be continually improving. Mistakes are only bad if they are repeated. Experiments are only wasted if they are not learned from.
Own the journey: We are all owners. We demand that of each other. The journey we own is threefold: our customers’ journey, our company’s journey and our personal journey. Our reason for existence is to nail our customer journey, so that we can scale our company’s success.
How we'll reward you
- Flexible, remote work options
- Competitive salary with equity.
- A locally-adjusted weekly allowance for lunches.
- A locally-adjusted monthly allowance for remote office supplies or personal development.
- Unlimited paid-time off.
- 3 offsites per year: every ~4 months we arrange an offsite for the whole company to get together so we can get to know our colleagues better and understand what we need to do. The location is ever changing, so you will get to see some new places!*
* currently on-hold due to COVID-19
United States Residents Only:
- 100% medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage. 75% for dependents.
- Voluntary 401k program.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At Rainforest QA we believe that diverse teams improve our business. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/rainforest-qa-senior-engineer-backend-1
👉 Please mention in your application that you found the job on pyremote, this helps us get more companies to post here!
This job is sourced from
When clicking on the button to apply above, you will leave pyremote
and go to the job application page. pyremote accepts no liability or
responsibility as a consequence of any reliance upon information on there (external sites) or here.