Head of Software
Headquarters: Victoria, BC
We’re Hiring a Head of Software!
- Wage based on experience $120K - $160K
- Stock Options
- Benefits Package
- Remote (+/- 3 hours from pacific time)
Here’s who we’re looking for:
You have taken at least one web-based analytics project into production for enterprise. You have a number of years experience working in agile software development teams. You take a user-focused approach to feature development, using real-world data to validate success. Continuous deployment makes you happy and you like keeping up with the latest developments in the field. We’re open to exploring variants of this story, so let’s not get too hung up on the details.
Here’s who we are:
We’re a mission-driven startup that has recently found product-market fit. We’ve been operating with a lean team and have developed a beautiful, functional MVP. We've also built relationships with some amazing property groups and carbon-efficiency financiers who want our products, and now it’s time to scale up. That’s where you come in.
Here’s the problem that we’re solving for:
82% of the global economy is targeting carbon neutral. That’s net-zero carbon across all areas of industry in the next 30 years. In the built environment, this has spurred a huge industry of $60B in energy efficiency grants and $250B in green bonds, designed to get building owners to take action. In the commercial space, this action involves systematically replacing every boiler, chiller, fan, pump, motor etc. over the next three decades. This is daunting because the lifetime of one of these pieces of equipment can be over 30 years! We need to convince property owners to make decisions now about what our world looks like when 2050 rolls around.
To date, the only way to pull these project forward is to hire consultants to develop spreadsheet-based models and produce pdf reports. It’s slow, inefficient, and costly, but most importantly it doesn’t scale (we should know, we were these consultants).
This is why we’ve created Audette. We’ve built a web-based platform that uses digital data from commercial buildings to quickly identify, qualify, and price carbon efficiency projects. Building owners get access to decarbonization road-maps and free money to do upgrade projects while financiers drastically reduce their capital delivery overhead. Everyone wins.
What we need to do now is automate our approach, so that Audette can be deployed at an international scale. This year we’ll look at 500 buildings, next year 5000, then 50000. We’re not messing around, and it’s going to take the best technical talent to get this done.
You’ll get paired up with an energy auditing lead
and supported by our development team in order to build something really cool and impactful.
Here’s what you’ll own:
- The process for turning our scrum product owner’s (currently our CEO) user stories into a detailed, estimated, backlog.
- The relationship with our research partners, directing them to develop novel methods to be integrated into our application as is appropriate
Here’s what you’ll assist with:
- Turning math-based models into cloud-hosted machine learning that can be deployed at scale.
- Identifying skills, training, and resource gaps in the technical team.
- Identifying and applying for R&D and commercialization grants.
- Filing patents
Here’s what you’ll teach:
- Train our development team on technical best practices for coding, quality assurance, devops and security.
- Teach research and academic partners about how they can better serve our industry with the activities they pursue
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Learn from our product owner and mechanical engineer about a ‘day in the life’ of the commercial property manager, and how our features align.
- Learn (through our healthy training budgets) about emerging technologies that can further our collective goals
Within 1 month you’ll:
- Familiarize yourself with our technical infrastructure and product features.
- Work collaboratively with the product team to develop a high-level technical roadmap for the next 6 months.
Within 3 months you’ll:
- Specify the technical requirements for six months of user stories in a prioritized technical backlog
- Get our university research partners started on any novel methods that will support our long term backlog
Within 6 months you’ll:
- Deploy the first iteration of ML tools to support auditing of 500 commercial buildings across British Columbia
Within 12 months you’ll:
- Develop an adaptation strategy to deploy ML tools across Canada and into the UK.
- Design the second-generation ML infrastructure to further process automation.
We’re doing our best to build an Anti Racist, Anti Sexist, and Anti Classist culture. In order to blind-screen for fit we’d love for you to fill out 7 questions to tell us about some of your technical, leadership, and management skills.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/audette-head-of-software